Tax Deduction on HRA (House Rent Allowance)
By Neelima Shankar
Print    Email    RSS   

If you are a salaried person receiving house rent allowance (HRA) from your employer, you are entitled for a tax deduction under the Income Tax Act. The tax implications of the house rent allowance (HRA) seem to be a confusing factor for almost every person.

House rent allowance (HRA) is a grant given by the employer to the employee to meet the cost of renting a house. It is basically a part of the taxable salary of an individual and one receives it irrespective of the type of property he resides in. Whether one stays in the rented accommodation or resides in his own house, he will get the HRA if his employer chooses to offer the allowance.

HRA Deduction

The deductions on HRA are eligible under Section 10(13A) of the Income Tax Act and will depend on certain laws. An individual can claim an HRA exemption only if the following three conditions are satisfied:

  • An HRA allowance is received as part of the salary package.
  • If one is staying in a rented accommodation and paying rent for it.
  • The rent exceeds 10% of the salary.

But it should be noted that one cannot claim deduction for rent paid to spouse. The relationship between a husband and wife is not commercial in nature and therefore the rent paid to spouse is not considered by the income tax authorities. On the other hand, rent paid to the parents is eligible for exemption. If you stay with your parents and pay rent to them then you can claim for tax deductions. However you need to keep all your rent receipts since it is the only proof that you are paying rent. HRA exemptions are only available on submission of rent receipts or the rent agreement.

Another factor that effects the tax exemption is the place where you live. If one resides in a metro city, he is eligible for a deduction of up to 50% of the salary or else the deduction is 40%.

Page  | 12 |  
(Comments Posted : 93) Post Your Comments
1. i am getting basic salary of rs. 19950 and hra of 1050/ per month i am paying monthly rent of 4300/ ple. let me know how much tax exemption i can claim .
rohit n desai (Posted: Jul 21, 2014)
2. My Spouse has recvd the first floor rights thru a legal deed for construction of house and staying there. We have constructed the house and living there without paying any rentals but paying the Electricity , Water and Property Tax charges to our In Laws. Can i make an rental agreement with my in laws and claim tax benefit
Kartick B R (Posted: May 5, 2014)
3. Cuntly am workng n bglr stayng n rented hostel paying rentAlso my parents stayng n chnai which is rented and i am paying rent for that too[Chenai agremnet is in my name oly with lndlrd My question is can i able to claim HRA for both location since both rental agreemts are in my name
karthik (Posted: Apr 10, 2014)
Show All Comments
 Select a product:

 Select a product:

J&K Bank raises PLR
RBI reports 19.73% credit growth of banks...
Banking Ombudsman: to the aid of the customer
The right age for home loans!
Home Loans: How to reduce your floating rate

getting loans rejected due to cibil
27590100013364 present balance
statment of home loan in indiabulls
can i take dsa of sbi , hdfc, icici, axis bank?

OBC bank reduced home loan rates by 0.5% Sep 4, 2014
RBI asked banks to set time frame for sanctioning loan Sep 2, 2014
Sundaram BNP Paribas Home Finance offering the home loans at lower rates Aug 29, 2014
Corporation bank inaugurated new branch in New Delhi Aug 28, 2014
Reduction in home loan rates by SBI Aug 27, 2014
News Archive